Saturday, September 4, 2010

My Other Shooter

I wanted to announce that I am now a living testimony that spouses can work together. I don’t how many people work with their spouses, but I’ve only heard horror stories so when my sweet husband decided he wanted to shoot a wedding with me the first words that went through my head were, “no,” “yikes,” and “absolutely not.” Not that he isn’t talented or anything, far from it actually. He’s dad used to be a photographer in Russia. So he’s got that talent.

But for those of you who have met us, you know we’re not exactly alike and I was pretty sure I would end up with horror stories of my own. Yes we are both very hard workers, and yes we both have big passions for what we do. But we just approach things differently. I am slightly nutty, detail-oriented to a fault, and always have “the plan.” I like to make sure things are going according to that plan and working out smoothly. Paul is well, not like that at all. He is laid back, cool, calm and collective. All the time. And when things go wrong, he says “oh well” and keeps going. (That’s where I stress.) But I love him for it because we compliment each other and for our husband-wife relationship, it’s perfect. But for our working relationship? Ya, I wasn’t so sure about that one.

I was pretty sure throughout the entire wedding I would not only have to keep up with the bride, the time, the details, the plan but now I would have the added task of making sure Paul was just as concerned about every detail as I was and I just knew that wouldn’t happen.

Now I am fully aware of the fact that God has a sense of humor. In fact I’m pretty sure that’s why Paul and I ended up doing a wedding together a few weekends ago.

After all my stressing about it and all my “Paul, are you really sure?” questions, it ended up working out not only okay but great! J Paul did an excellent job. He got tons of beautiful shots of the little details of the day that I didn’t even notice! Go figure, right? Haha That was enough to humble me, that’s for sure.

So to anyone interested in working with your spouse… it’s not too bad. :) And from now on, you may be seeing an extra shooter with me unless he was serious about starting his own business which he says he is going to call “Moments by Paul.” :) Gotta love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment